10 Best men’s running shorts in 2021
Finding a pair of comfortable and affordable men’s running shorts can be a difficult task. So, we’ve done the work for you – here’s ten pairs.
You can’t go wrong with a good pair of running shorts – keeping you cool, dry, comfortable, and looking your best. However, with such a wide selection of men’s running shorts available, it can often be difficult to choose the pair that’s right for you.
When it comes to shopping for shorts (and other running clothing) there are several general guidelines you should follow, these include:
- Moisture management and sweat-wicking technology – does it have any/how good is it?
- The fit – are they comfortable?
- Price range – is it worth the money/can you justify the price?
Taking these guidelines into consideration will help you make greater informed purchases. Nonetheless, with that out of the way, the remainder of this article will provide you with eight of the best running shorts for men, followed up with a couple of honourable mentions.
*This post contains links to Amazon and other affiliate sites. As an amazon associate, we will earn a small percentage on qualifying purchases. To find out more, click here.
1. Adidas running shorts (2 in 1 design)
- Lightweight and breathable design
- Phone pocket
- Non-restrictive and sweat-wicking
- Flat-lying-seams reduces the risk of irritation and chafing
These running shorts from Adidas contain a two in one design, guaranteeing comfort and increased ventilation during your run. Also, the flat-lying seams further reduce your risk of chafing and general irritation – a pleasure to wear and made even better by the phone pocket.
2. Nike challenger men’s running shorts
- Signature Nike Dry-FIT technology
- Elastic waistband for slight adjustment
- Standard comfortable fit
The Nike challenger men’s shorts are for those looking to go fast, whether on the track, up the fells, or competing in a local road race. With Nike’s signature dry-fit technology, you’ll remain cool, comfortable and composed – there’s little more you can ask for from an item of clothing.
3. 2 in 1 shorts with zip pockets
- 1 zipped pocket on the back of the shorts for small items (e.g. a bank card, cash or keys)
- Reflective logo for increased visibility
- Lightweight and breathable design
Two in one running shorts are becoming more and more popular, especially during the winter months. With a compression base layer, your muscles will remain warm and prepared for fast running – a must-have component when it comes to staying injury-free. Oh, and you’ll also benefit from the zipped pocket on the back of the shorts, ideal for smaller items.
4. Karrimor running shorts for men
- Interior zipped pocket for valuables
- DRX performance fabric
- Internal briefs for added support and comfort
This pair of Karrimor running shorts for men are fairly basic but still get the job done! For example, the DRX performance fabric wicks moisture away from the body, ensuring you main dry and comfortable throughout your run. You’ll also benefit from the internal briefs for added support and comfort, no doubt reducing the risk of chafing and general irritation, too.
5. New Balance accelerate 7-inch shorts
- Key pocket
- Reflective logo for added visibility whilst running at night
- NB dry technology wicks sweat away from the body, keeping you dry and comfortable
The New Balance accelerate seven-inch men’s running shorts utilise NB’s dry technology, allowing for an enjoyable, but more importantly, comfortable running experience. If you log the majority of your miles early in the morning or after work, the reflective logo will increase your visibility and safety when pounding the pavement.
6. Nike Pro men’s compression running shorts
- Compression design for improved athletic performance
- Secure and comfortable fit
- Dri-fit technology prevents moisture build-up, keeping you dry and focused on your run
The benefits of compression are well-known but include: reduced muscle fatigue, increased athletic performance, and decreased recovery times between workouts. Men’s compression running shorts are particularly popular for harder runs and races, allowing you to push yourself to your limit with less strain placed on your body.
Finally, as with the majority of Nike apparel, you’ll also benefit from their dri-fit technology, keeping you cool, calm, and composed.
7. Karrimor 2 in 1 running shorts
- Choice of two colours
- Drx technology
- Comfortable and elastic fit
If you’re looking for an excellent pair of running shorts on a budget, you’ve found the pair for you. This two in one pair from Karrimor contains a comfortable and elastic fit, further complemented by the brands unique Drx technology. By no means anything special, but you will struggle to find a pair better in this price range.
8. Nike fast 2-inch running shorts
- Nike’s signature Dri-fit technology
- Pockets for safely storing valuables
- Split vent for increased freedom of movement
There are only a few people brave enough to rock a pair of two-inch shorts. However, if you’re wanting to show off the quads then the Nike fast is for you. Unlike other shorts, the split vent and short design (pun intended) allow for increased freedom of movement – focus on your run and nothing else.
Although we’ve covered most of our recommended shorts above, we’ve also got a couple of honourable mentions – you may just find the ideal pair for you below:
Best running shorts with pockets
- Two front side pockets
- One reflective zipper pocket (back of shorts)
- Hidden built-in pocket
Often, many pairs of shorts contain zero pockets. If they do, they are often too small or only have one. This pair from Superora solves all of your problems, with four pockets to store your valuables. With this being said, you are compromising slightly on sweat-wicking capability, but not so much you’ll notice a huge difference.
Best running shorts for heavy sweaters
- TCA dry technology wicks sweat away from the skin to be quickly evaporated
- x2 fusion-wielded pockets for ultimate storage
- Lightweight and breathable
- Endorsed by professional athletes
If you’re a heavy sweater, it can be difficult to find a pair of training shorts that keep you dry. However, fear not as this pair from TCA do exactly that: wick sweat away from the skin to be quickly evaporated, keeping you dry and comfortable, no matter how heavy you sweat.
You’ll find that more and more shorts contain similar technology, but it’s more about finding a pair that works the best for you (i.e. you find the most comfortable).
Frequently asked questions
To help answer some commonly asked questions, we’ve compiled a short FAQ for you to view below:
Why is there a liner in running shorts?
You may not know that the lining in most running shorts is so that you don’t need to wear underwear. The lining is designed to provide ample support and comfort. This is mainly achieved as wearing additional layers, such as underwear, may result in chafing and irritation. Take away the extra layer and you reduce your risk of both painful consequences.
Are cycling shorts good for running?
You can get away with wearing cycling shorts for the occasional short run. However, over time this may result in chafing and irritation. Also, your movement may be somewhat restricted. Instead, we recommend sticking with your usual pair of running shorts.
Do you wear underwear with running shorts?
This depends on whether your pair of shorts has a built-in liner. If they do not, you should wear underwear. However, if there is a built-in liner, it may be more comfortable for you to wear no underwear. Nonetheless, this is your choice so do whatever feels most comfortable!
What are 2 in 1 running shorts?
Two in one running shorts contain two layers: a compression base layer and a regular shorts layer, so to say. This type of design keeps your muscles warm and is less revealing than regular compression running shorts. They’re also super fashionable and allow you to recover quicker between runs.