15 of the best running socks in 2019
Choosing the right running socks will reduce blisters and improve running performance.
Whether you’re a beginner to running or have conquered several marathons, wearing high-quality running socks is essential to looking after and keeping our feet healthy.
However, many still neglect to choose a high-quality pair of socks and instead opt for cheap and or their regular socks to pound the pavement in. Much like running shoes, choosing a low-quality pair of running socks will result in blisters, discomfort, and a lack of protection mile after mile.
Likewise, a pair of high-quality athletic socks will increase grip when running while allowing moisture to pass from your feet through your shoe. This helps keep your feet comfortable, fresh, and healthy.
The rest of this article will discuss how to choose a pair of socks, the different types of socks for running and our choice of the best fifteen socks for running.
What kind of socks should I wear when running?
If you haven’t already gathered, you should be wearing a proper pair of running socks instead of any old ankle or trainer socks. For those competing in longer distances or performing intense training, compression socks may also be of interest.
Why wear compression socks?
The theory behind compression socks is that they increase blood circulation and oxygen to the working muscles, and even speed up the removal of lactic acid. While many runners swear by them, including the likes of now-retired Paula Radcliffe, scientific evidence is still lacking.
Our advice to any runner is each to their own. If compression socks work for you, then that’s great, if not, it’s not the end of the world.
What should I look for when buying a pair of socks for running?
It’s time to ditch those ankle socks and instead opt for a proper pair of training socks. However, you may be wondering: what should you look for when purchasing a new pair?
- Look for padding in high-impact areas such as the arches, heels, and toes
- Look for moisture-wicking fabrics such as polyester, acrylic, and CoolMax
- Should be a good fit, similar to your running shoe – not too big nor too small
How to look after your running socks
Once you’ve gathered together a few pairs of socks for running, it’s essential to look after them properly to prevent them from shrinking in the wash. Therefore, like most running and sports gear it’s advised not to tumble dry and instead air dry.
What are the best running socks to prevent blisters?
With blisters being a common result of poor quality socks, there a few things we can look out for to reduce our risk of blisters while increasing our comfort. These are:
- Look for socks with moisture-wicking fabrics such as polyester, acrylic, and CoolMax
- The socks should be a good fit
- Look for increased padding and cushioning on areas you’re most prone to picking up blisters
What are the best socks for running?
Now that we know what to look for in a pair of running socks, here are fifteen best socks for running:
This post contains links to amazon. As an amazon associate, we will earn a small percentage on qualifying purchases. Find out more here.
1. Rockay accelerate anti-blister unisex running socks
- Wick sweat away from our feet keeping them dry, comfortable and blister-free
- High durability (do not need to be replaced often whatsoever)
These socks from Rockay are renowned for having anti-blister capabilities. Created with organic merino wool, these socks wick sweat away from our feet and through our shoes, thus keeping our feet fresh, and blister-free. Secondly, Rockay guarantees these socks to have the highest durability, not needing replacing often whatsoever.
2. Hilly unisex marathon fresh socks
- Moisture-wicking design to prevent blisters and increase comfort
- Under toe seamless construction
- Upper foot venting
This pair of socks from Hilly is perfect for long runs or even marathons. Designed with upper foot venting, under toe seamless construction, and a moisture-wicking design, these socks guarantee comfort mile on mile whilst preventing blisters.
3. VCA unisex performance quarter socks
- Cushioned to enhance running
- Quick, dry and breathable material to increase comfort
Coming in four different colours and anatomically designed, these are both easy on the eye and specially cushioned to enhance your running. Made with a quick, dry and breathable material these socks will provide comfort whatever surface you’re running on.
4. Plantar fasciitis unisex compression socks
- Designed for those suffering from plantar fasciitis
- Reduced fatigue from injuries such as plantar fascitis
- Sweat-wicking material to keep our feet comfortable and healthy
Designed with those suffering from plantar fasciitis, this three-pack of running socks are great for everyday or sporting use. The use of compression, along with extra cushioning on the heel of the sock increases blood flow, reduces fatigue, and minimized pain from injuries such as plantar fasciitis.
These socks also contain sweat-wicking material to prevent the build-up of bacteria and fungus while keeping our feet comfortable and healthy.
5. Injinj unisex toesocks
- Increased comfort and protection compared to regular running socks
- Moisture management material
Yes, they may look odd, but these toesocks by Injinj have increased comfort and protection than regular running socks. Including moisture management material and a no-show length, you’ll remain blister-free while nobody can see your fantastic socks.
6. Inov8 unisex all-terrain (twin pack)
- Ideal for fell and trail running
- Flatlock seams to prevent chafing and irritation
- High levels of breathability to reduce blisters while keeping your feet nice and cool while running
These socks from Inov8 can be used year-round, whatever the weather. Ideal for fell running, trail running, or your regular 3-mile loop these socks pack quite the punch. With high levels of breathability, these running socks increase comfort and reduce blisters while keeping our feet nice and cool.
However, one of the key features of these socks is the inclusion of flatlock seams. These seams prevent chaffing and irritation while running or working out – something many socks lack.
7. Karrimor men’s compression socks
- Compression running socks to increase blood circulation
- Moisture-wicking material to keep your feet dry while preventing blisters
If you’re wanting to try or looking for a pair of compression running socks, this pair from Karrimor are both affordable and stylish. Created with moisture-wicking material alongside the many potential benefits of compression: increased blood circulation, oxygen to the working muscles, and even a reduced recovery time between workouts or runs.
8. Cotill men’s running socks (3 pack)
- Perfect for beginners
- Optimum cushioning throughout the sock
- Sweat-wicking material to prevent blisters while increasing comfort
If you’re a beginner to running or don’t want to splash too much cash, this 3 pack pair of running socks from cotill is a great place to start. With maximum cushioning throughout the sock alongside sweat-wicking material, these socks will prevent blisters without sacrificing on comfort.
9. More mile women’s running socks (3 pack)
- Perfect for beginners
- Ergonomically shaped
- Wick sweat and moisture away from the body
- Available in a wide variety of colours
Also perfect for those new to running, these women’s socks from more mile are ergonomically shaped and designed to wick sweat and moisture away from the body. Coming in a fun range of colours, these socks are super affordable and a great alternative to some of the more pricy options while still getting the job done.
10. Nike men’s running Dri-fit socks (2 pack)
- Dri-fit technology
- Choice of four different colours
- Sweat-wicking material to increase comfort and reduce blisters
From one of the most reputable brands in the sport, Nike has developed these dri-fit socks. With a choice of four different colours and containing sweat-wicking material, these socks will keep you comfortable and blister-free for the entirety of your run.
11. Nike unisex spark lightweight
- Combine style and performance
- Dri-fit technology
- Wick sweat away from the body, increasing comfort and reducing blisters
These fashionable unisex lightweight socks from Nike are ideal for those looking to combine style and performance. Created with Nike’s signature Dri-fit technology, these socks wick sweat and moisture away from the body, reducing our risk of blisters and increasing comfort step by step.
12. SLS3 unisex running socks
- Supportive and comfortable fit (especially around the heel)
- Increased heel cushioning makes these a great choice for those suffering from plantar fascitis
- Variety of fun colours
These socks from SLS3 come in a variety of fun colours. From neon green to pink and yellow, you’re sure to stand out from the crowd whatever your taste. Secondly, these socks provide a supportive and comfortable fit, especially around the heel area of the foot – great for those suffering from plantar fasciitis.
To reduce blisters, SLS3 have also included an in-step hugging arch band. This, paired with the moisture-wicking sock material, will keep your feet healthy and happy regardless of the distance.
13. Hilly women’s twin skin anklet socks
- Sweat-wicking to increase comfort and reduce blisters
- Water-absorbing fibres making these a great choice for fell and trail running
These women’s anklet running socks from Hilly is great whatever the weather. With water-absorbing fibres and sweat-wicking materials, these socks are a great choice regardless of the distance. Finally, coming in either pink or white, you’re sure to steal the show while remaining blister-free.
14. Unisex compression socks
- Compression socks to increase blood flow and reduce fatigue while running
- Pack of two
With compression socks also rumoured to reduce recovery times between runs or workouts, it may be a good idea to invest in a pair. This two-pack may increase blood flow, reduce pain from shin splints, relieve fatigue, and reduce swelling.
15. Karrimor women’s running trainer ankle socks
- Meryl and Nylon to reduce blisters and increase comfort
- Stylish colour scheme
If you’re looking for a cheap yet high-quality pair of socks for running look no further than these from Karrimor. Created with Meryl and Nylon, your risk of blisters will be reduced with no sacrifice of comfort. In a stylish pink and light blue colour scheme, you can rock these round the house, while working out, or of course while running.