Running accessories: 30 must-have items in 2023
GPS watches, compression sleeves, and the latest Nike kicks.
For a sport that is so simple, and requires little to no equipment – other than a pair of running shoes – there are hundreds of running accessories stocking the shelves.
You’ve got phone holders, running watches, headbands, gaiters, and heart rate monitors. And that’s only the tip of the iceberg!
With endless running accessories to choose from, you’re spoilt for choice.
So we’ve gathered together a range of running accessories and the best running gear for you in 2023.
The best running accessories, in no particular order
This post contains links to Amazon and other affiliate sites. As an Amazon associate, we may earn a small percentage on qualifying purchases. Find out more here.
1. On Running moulded cap
- Ergonomic fit
- For warm weather running
The On Running moulded cap is the perfect companion for warm-weather running. The fabric provides excellent breathability, and the design offers next-level comfort (without the need for extra seams).
2. Beats fit pro sweat resistant earphones
- Active noise cancelling
- On-device controls
- Transparency mode – stay aware of your surroundings
Designed for comfort, the Beats fit pro is great for running. With a choice of active noise cancelling or transparency mode, you can choose to be in your zone or actively aware of what’s around you.
You get up to 6 hours of listening time on one charge, and up to 24 hours when used with the portable charging case.
3. Skins calf sleeves
- Increase blood flow to the muscles
- Reduce muscle vibrations & fatigue
- 50 + UV protection
Compression calf sleeves reduce vibrations and stabilise the lower leg when running – great for those longer sessions.
The skins sleeves use moisture management technology to keep you dry, comfortable, and focused on your run. But you can also wear these in the gym or in any other workout.
4. Garmin Forerunner 245 GPS running watch
- Training status updates (e.g. overtraining, undertraining)
- Measures advanced running dynamics (cadence, stride length, and ground contact time)
- Safety & tracking features to share your location with select contacts
When it comes to running accessories, there’s nothing quite like a top-of-the-line GPS running watch. The Forerunner 245 is the ultimate piece of kit, measuring various metrics you never knew you needed and helping you take your training to the next level.
5. Danish Endurance anti-blister running socks
- Sweat-wicking and anti-blister compression design
- Ideal for long-distance running
- Recommended by Olympic athletes
You can’t beat a good pair of running socks. This pair of anti-blister socks from Danish Endurance is great for everyday training sessions – they’re even recommended by Olympic athletes.
There’s plenty of cushioning and support, and you’re spoilt for choice with six colour options.
Related: Best running socks for increased comfort.
6. Flow Yoga Mat
- Recyclable fabric
- A different pattern on each side for alternate grip levels
Yoga and stretching go hand in hand with running.
Work through those tight muscles with the Flow yoga mat – with alternate grip levels to help you get the most out of each session.
The mat only weighs 2kg – light enough to carry around, but firm enough to stay in place when working out.
7. Running accessories phone holder
- Reflective strip for increased visibility
- Compatible with several devices
- Includes storage for small items, including cash, lipstick, and keys
Every year we see more and more running accessories released. However, a favourite for many is a classic phone holder case. This one by Gritin is compatible with numerous devices, both iPhone and Android included. You’ll also benefit from the small storage pocket for valuables, keeping them dry and secure on your run.
8. Rockay performance run tights for men
- HeiQ Fresh odour control technology
- Dedicated smartphone pocket
- Made from recycled materials
The Rockay performance run tights are our best overall running tights for men. With a dedicated smartphone pocket and a recycled design, there’s not much more you can ask for.
Oh, and you also benefit from the fresh odour control, allowing you to run multiple times before washing if you really want. We won’t tell if you don’t.
9. Proviz Reflect 360 running gloves
- Fully reflective 360-degree design
- Internal waterproofing and insulation
A pair of running gloves are a must-have running accessory come the colder months.
Getting out of the house to run is one thing, but having freezing cold hands while running is another – it’s a solid no from us. The Proviz running gloves contain 360-degree reflectivity and an insulated design – they’ll keep you warm and visible year-round.
10. Rockay compression running socks
- Anti-odour technology
- Created using 100% recycled materials
- Anti-blister construction
The Rockay compression running socks are a must-have piece of kit for any runner. Increase your performance and improve your recovery by switching out your socks. They’re also great for lounging around the house!
Want to find out more? Read our full review of the Rockay Vigor compression running socks.
11. Rockay performance women’s run tights
- HeiQ Fresh odour control technology results in a breathable and quick-drying fabric
- Secure pocket for your smartphone
- Made from recycled materials
Comfortable, stylish, and designed to go the distance – the Rockay performance women’s running tights tick all the boxes.
The athletic fit is supportive, and the secure pocket keeps your valuables on hand.
12. Hoka transport gaiter
- 100% polyester
- Two-sided brushed fleece
- Neck warmer
The Hoka transport gaiter is perfect for early morning excursions – whether trail running or commuting through the city.
The fabric is soft but toasty warm, and the coloured-blocked hues increase visibility.
13. Garmin Forerunner 35 GPS running watch
- Measures basic running metrics ( pace per mile, distance, time, etc.)
- Smart notifications & wrist-based heart rate monitoring
- VO2 Max recovery estimates
The Garmin Forerunner 35 GPS running watch is a little less advanced than the Forerunner 245.
But this is expected because of the noticeable price difference. The Forerunner 35 contains plenty of features though, including smart notifications, recovery estimates, and more!
14. Rockay run belt (unisex)
- Three pockets (one large zipped pocket for your smartphone)
- Fits waist sizes from 23.5″ to 43″
- Highly reflective design
Store all of your favourite running accessories in the Rockay running belt – designed to fit all runners. With a sleek and stylish design, it’s not only practical, but you’ll look good while doing so.
15. FX FFEXS foam roller
- Improves muscle recovery between runs and workouts
- Reduces your risk of injury
- Choice of three colours
Foam rolling is an excellent recovery tool for runners. It can help reduce your risk of injury and improve performance.
This product also includes a guide with exercises to get you started – there’s no excuse not to get started!
16. TriggerPoint performance massage stick
- Acugrip handles for targeted relief
- Convenient and portable design
- Reduces muscle tightness and soreness
Sometimes you can’t quite reach that tight spot with a foam roller – this massage stick is ideal for those hard-to-reach spots, small in size and ideal for travel.
17. Nike Swoosh women’s sports bra
- Medium-support bra
- A lightweight spacer increases breathability
- 3 mesh-lined pockets
Stay comfortable, feel confident, and remain focused on your run with the Nike Swoosh women’s sports bra.
The bra contains 3 mesh-lined pockets to hold your phone, keys, or other essentials. And the sweat-wicking tech keeps you cool on your run.
18. Polar H10 heart rate monitor strap
- Top-quality ECG measurement
- Pair to multiple devices at the same time
- 400 hour battery life
The Polar H10 heart rate monitor is a favourite among pro athletes. It’s highly accurate, fully waterproof, and contains Bluetooth and ANT+ connection.
You can also pair it to your smartwatch, whether that’s a Garmin, Suunto, Apple Watch, or Nike.
19. On Running merino wool headband
- Temperature regulation
- Keep your hair in place when running
- Stay warm on those colder runs
Push your performance, keep your hair in place, and keep your ears warm on those cold weather runs with the On Running Merino wool headband.
20. Nike fast 2-inch men’s running shorts
- Signature Nike Dri-Fit technology
- Ideal for racing
If you’re looking for a race day pair of running shorts, then look no further.
At only 2 inches in length, they look – and feel – quick. You’ll get improved freedom of movement and extra breathability. But the pockets run small – you’ll only really be able to fit a bank card and a set of keys.
21. Rockay women’s running shorts
- Inner dedicated smartphone pocket
- 5-inch length
- Recycled fabric design
Made with recycled fabric, these women’s running shorts from Rockay are perfect year-round.
The dedicated smartphone pocket secures your phone for when you need it most, whether that’s an emergency, or checking those Strava segments.
22. Higher State women’s sports bra
- Mesh back and overlay increases ventilation and air-flow
- Deep underband ensures a comfortable fit
- Adjustable multiple padded straps
When you’re out running, you want as few distractions as possible. The Higher State women’s sports bra does exactly that, keeping you comfortable mile after mile. The adjustable padded straps are designed to fit all, allowing you to adjust as necessary for that precision fit.
23. GearLight LED adjustable running head torch
- One size fits all (adults and kids)
- 45-degree tilt
Nothing quite says winter running accessory quite like the trusty head torch. Without one, you’ll struggle to log those early morning or evening runs. This head torch provides a 200-lumen brightness and a choice of three different beam modes.
You can also view our full round-up of the best head torches for other options.
24. Nike men’s Zoom Pegasus 40
- Regular or extra wide fit
- Everyday running shoe
- Improved comfort (foot, arches, and toes)
The Nike Zoom Pegasus 40 is the same running shoe you’re familiar with, but with improved comfort in the toes, arches, and feet.
A highly responsive design improves running economy and helps you get the most out of each step. The cushioning is medium – great for everyday running, but also lightweight enough to go fast, whether an interval session on the track or a tempo run around the park.
25. Asics Novablast 3 women’s running shoes
- Jacquard Mesh is moisture-wicking and breathable
- FlyteFoam blast provides a softer and more responsive stride
- 30g lighter than the Novablast 2
The Asics Novablast 3 is the perfect shoe for everyday training. A step up from the previous model (and 30g lighter), you can expect a fast, responsive, and cushioned ride.
26. Theragun mini massage gun
- Compact & portable design
- 150-minute battery life
- 3 Speed settings
Reduce tension, eliminate knots, and improve your recovery with the most portable Theragun (massage gun) yet.
This massage gun is more affordable than other options, yet small enough to bring with you to your next race day. Although, we wouldn’t recommend running with it – save it for that post-race massage.
27. Fitness-mad spikey massage ball
- Release tight and sore muscles
- Compact and super portable – great for travelling
- Reduced risk of injury
Far too often, runners get injured because of overtraining and a lack of stretching and strength work.
A simple spikey massage ball is great for eliminating tight spots and works wonders in massaging the plantar fascia.
28. Dr. Scholl’s athletic sports insoles
- Reduce and prevent shin and knee pain, and plantar fascia pain/discomfort
- Deep heel cup absorbs impact each step
- Anti-odour & long-lasting design
Many runners think running insoles are for those with some sort of pronation or an injury. But this is not true!
This pair of insoles are designed for the neutral runner – they reduce pain and provide extra cushioning to improve comfort and reduce your risk of injury.
Check out our blog post on the best running insoles for other options.
29. Out ‘n’ About Nipper Sport V4 Stroller
- Fixed front wheel provides extra stability
- 5-point safety harness and rear suspension increases safety
Don’t miss out on your run, and get a great workout in with a running stroller. Its lightweight design makes running feel effortless, but it doesn’t compromise on safety. The fixed front wheel provides exceptional stability – even on bumpy terrain – and the 5-point safety harness has your kid strapped in like a Formula One driver.
30. Hoka all-day hat
- Adjustable (one size)
- Technical and sweat-wicking
The Hoka all-day hat is just as good for running, as it is for everyday use. It’s technical and sweat-wicking to keep you dry, but stylish enough to wear on its own.
Running accessories FAQ:
To help answer questions surrounding men and women’s running accessories, we’ve put together a short FAQ below:
What accessories do runners need?
This depends on how seriously you take your running. However, a GPS running watch, a pair of proper running shoes, and a foam roller will certainly do the trick.
What is a good gift for a runner?
As there are so many running accessories available, you have an excellent choice of gifts. We recommend a GPS running watch, foam roller, or running belt to get started!
Are all these running accessories required?
No! There are plenty of accessories out there. However, usually, these just make your running easier and more enjoyable.
Matthew is an avid runner, freelance writer, Durham University graduate, and the founder of Running101.