10 of the Best Men’s running tights available in 2021
Wrap up warm this winter with these ten pairs of men’s running tights and leggings.
When the weather gets cold and the icy mornings begin, you don’t want to be caught out. It’s essential to invest in some warm weather running gear such as a running jacket, running gloves, long-sleeved tops, and a pair of men’s running tights – as covered in this article.
Running tights are especially great for warmups in the cold and general winter and spring runs. Wearing tights improves circulation, increases blood flow, and allows you to maintain body temperature much easier. If you are wearing tights for a warm-up, these can later be removed before your interval session or run properly begins.
So, with this in mind, this article will provide you with thirteen of the best men’s running tights, followed up with a little extra information on how to wear these, and then finishing up with a short FAQ.
*This post contains links to Amazon and other affiliate sites. As an amazon associate, we will earn a small percentage on qualifying purchases. Find out more here.
1. Rockay men’s dolphin blue running tights
- Polygiene anti-odour technology
- Reflective logo located at the back of the tights
- Small zipped side pocket & internal slide pocket
- Manufactured using recycled fabrics
- Created using recycled materials to help fight ocean waste
- Does not create a nasty odour, even after many uses before washing
- Slightly more expensive than some alternatives
- The external zipped pocket may be a little too small for some smartphones
The Rockay men’s dolphin blue running tights are created using recycled fabrics, helping to clean up the oceans and improve sustainability. However, not only is this pair of tights good for the environment, but they’re comfortable and even contain unique Polygiene anti-odour technology. This technology wicks sweat away from the body to prevent that nasty smell of sweat we’re all too familiar with…
The Rockay dolphin blue pair of tights ranks number one in our list thanks to its sleek, sustainable, and practical design, something we currently do not see enough of when it comes to sports gear.
Each purchase helps fight ocean waste, cleaning up the environment and contributing to a sustainable future.
2. New Balance accelerate men’s running tights
- Interior pocket
- Elasticated Waistband and blended polyester and spandex fabric
- Super breathable fabric and design
- Several reflective details help increase visibility
- Ankle zips can be opened to provide cool air on hotter runs
- An exterior pocket would be a nice addition
- May need to order a size larger than usual
These New Balance running tights for men rank in our number two spot thanks to the competitive price and wide variety of features available. For example, the spandex fabric and elasticated waistband result in a comfortable yet supportive fit, unlike other running leggings which utilise a drawstring approach.
With the addition of ankle zips which do not get in the way (as opposed to others), this makes them a great choice for those warm but not freezing runs (somewhere between a pair of shorts and a pair of tights).
Despite the several benefits, it is worth mentioning that the tights may run a little larger than usual, so you may need a size larger than normal. Also, although there is an interior pocket, an exterior pocket would be welcomed, providing more options to store valuables such as keys, cash or your smartphone in case of an emergency while out running.
3. Adidas response long running tights
- Climacool technology wicks sweat away from the body
- Soft and stretchy fabric to prevent chafing
- Remain cool and dry regardless of the weather
- External zip can fit house keys and cash
- Comfortable and added warmth for those colder runs
- Regular sized phone will not fit in the zipped pocket
Created with Climacool technology, these tights will keep you cool and dry in warm weather and nice and warm in even the coldest of temperatures. The soft and stretchy fabric will prevent chafing while providing a comfortable run no matter the weather outside.
Where the response long tights really shine, however, is comfort, thanks to the soft but warming fabric which is a welcomed addition on those cold, wintery, or perhaps early morning runs.
Unlike other tights which contain no pockets, such as the Adidas Alphaskin long tights (also on our list), you will benefit from a decent-sized pocket on the exterior of the leggings that can fit valuables (other than a large smartphone).
4. Asics moving men’s running leggings
- Inner pocket for storing small essential items
- Reflective logo improves visibility when running or training at night
- Soft knit fabric is super comfortable and provides a second-skin-like feel
- Various reflective details offer incredible visibility in low light conditions
- Optimum sizing thanks to the elastic waistband and stretchy knit fabric
- No external pockets
The Asics running tights for men offer unrivalled reflective detailing, performing better than other leggings on this list, including the Adidas response tights but similar to the accelerate New Balance tights.
In fact, these tights from Asics are very similar to the previous pair from New Balance, offering an elasticated waistband, a breathable design and soft fabric, interior pockets, but no external pockets to store a smartphone or other valuables.
If pockets are an issue for you, we recommend choosing the pair from Rockay or the Karrimor performance tights. Despite this, very few men’s running tights contain numerous zipped pockets, a perhaps welcomed addition to any new pair entering the market.
5. Adidas 3-stripes tights
- Can be zipped up, perfect for putting tights on over shoes or other layers
- Second-skin like design offers increased freedom of movement
- Authentic Adidas style
- Very reflective design – great for running at night
- Sweat-wicking Climalite fabric is quick-drying & comfortable
- Very small pocket at the back of the tights only suitable for one small item such as a key or cash
Designed with a tight fit that feels like a second skin ensures freedom of movement and increased comfort with these men’s running tights. With the authentic style and three-stripe design, you look stylish without sacrificing on performance.
Also, you benefit from the highly reflective design which is great for running at night or in low light conditions. And with many Adidas products, Climalite fabric is implemented, further increasing comfort and breathability.
Finally, there is a small pocket at the back of the tights. However, this is relatively small, so don’t expect to pack your lunch to go.
6. Karrimor performance men’s running tights
- Great for beginners
- Zipped pocket towards the back of the tights
- Mesh panels for increased airflow
- Reflective detailing to increase visibility
- Comfortable design for all heights
- Plenty of reflective details to increase visibility
- Back pocket runs small and will not fit a smartphone
- Ankle zips can become irritating if you don’t usually like these
A very affordable option, perfect for beginners, these tights from Karrimor are perfect for winter running. These contain a zipped pocket located at the back of the tights for valuables alongside mesh panels for increased airflow and reflective panelling for low light conditions to increase visibility.
In particular, the reflective detailing is impressive, better than a lot of other men’s running tights on the market. Therefore, this pair is great for those running in poorly lit areas, on the fells, or who want a little extra safety when stomping the pavement late in the evening.
7. Inov-8 race elite tights men
- Stretchy full-length fit
- Rear zipped pocket for gels, keys, or essentials
- UPF 50 + protection to the body
- Supportive & comfortable
- Excellent in colder weather conditions
- Multiple pockets with plenty of room for various essential items
- More expensive than other options
- Reflective details could be improved
This pair of running tights from Inov-8 is designed with the trail runner in mind. UPF 50 + provides optimal protection from the sun, while the stretchy and supportive fit provides comfort mile after mile.
The race elite tights perform exceptionally well in colder weather conditions, further benefiting from multiple pockets to store valuables (cash, keys, a wallet etc.) or perhaps even a compact running jacket. However, although the tights do contain reflective detailing, we feel the reflectivity could be improved ever so slightly.
8. Adidas Men’s Alphaskin Sport Long Tights
- Sweat-wicking Climalite fabric keeps you dry
- Ergonomic cut lines for added comfort
- Excellent in colder weather conditions
- Affordable and comfortable thanks to the AlphaSkin sport fabric
- Some runners may find these a little too tight
- Tights appear to be a little longer than regular men’s running leggings
- No Pockets
The Adidas men’s Alphaskin sport long men’s running tights are a very affordable option to keep you warm on those cold and wintery runs. While unfortunately there are no pockets (inside or outside), the fabric is comfortable, well-fitting, and certainly does the job.
With this being said, these tights act more like a base layer and less like a pair of running trousers. You may wish to choose another pair of tights if you require pockets. Otherwise, the Alphaskin is a great choice to accompany you on those long runs during the colder months.
Some runners may find these a little tight, so be sure to check your size before ordering!
9. Salomon Men’s agile tight running pants
- Breathable and quick-drying material
- Freedom of movement ideal for any sport including running
- Excellent in cold and more severe weather conditons
- Reflective detailing may begin to show signs of wear over time
As you’d expect from Salomon specializing in fell and trail running gear, these running tights live up to the brand’s reputation – also represented with a five-star review on Amazon.
The tights are created using a breathable and quick-drying material, all without restricting movement. As a middle of the range legging, you benefit from a comfortable and satisfying fit, too. However, some users have reported that over time the reflective details begin to show signs of wear and tear – so it’s just something to keep an eye out for.
10. Under Armour Men‘s Compression Tights
- Elastic waist design for added comfort without restriction
- Created using HeatGear material for added warmth
- Ergonomic design offers increased durability and stretch
- Universal pair of running leggings – can be used for all activities
- Can easily be worn under shorts or track pants
- No pockets
- They look more like a traditional “legging” so may not be to everybody’s liking
- More intended for the gym and general training rather than running
The Under Armour men’s compression tights are a suitable option for running, but more targeted towards general sports and training, unlike a more running-specific pair of men’s leggings such as the Rockay tights listed in this article.
Similarly, this pair of men’s running tights appear to have a more traditional “leggings” look and may not be the number one choice for all users. Despite this, they can be worn under a pair of shorts or track pants if you prefer, changing the look and adding warmth when needed.
Another major deciding factor for others is that these tights have no pockets, both internal and external. So, if you’re looking for a pair with plenty of storage, the pair from Rockay are more likely to be to your choosing.
When should I wear my running tights?
Runner’s World recommends wearing running tights in anything colder than 4 degrees Celcius and certainly below freezing. This will reduce your risk of hypothermia while keeping your muscles nice and warm, also lessening your risk of pulling a muscle, increasing your performance, and of course, keeping you nice and toasty.
How do I wear running tights?
Many people wear men’s running tights in entirely different ways. Some wear running tights by themselves while others wear shorts over or even under them. However, ultimately this depends on the style and make of your running tights.
Personally, we suggest wearing a pair of running shorts over your running tights, especially in cold weather. However, with a high-quality pair of running tights, this won’t make a huge difference in terms of warmth.
How tight should my running tights be?
You may be wondering: how tight is too tight? When it comes to running tights, they should be tight but not restricting. If you’re having trouble maintain your regular running form or start to get muscle cramps, chances are they’re too tight. If running tights aren’t for you, you could always invest in a pair of running trousers?
Frequently asked questions
Below you will find some frequently asked questions regarding men’s running tights:
Running tights are great for running in the winter, increasing warmth and protecting you from the elements. Many runners also choose to wear a pair when warming up for a track or interval session, later removing this layer once warm.
Some running tights for men are designed to be worn by themselves. However, for most pairs, we recommend wearing a pair of shorts over these. This will help you feel confident, will allow others to feel more comfortable, and may even ever so slightly increase warmth.
Of course, men can wear running tights! In fact, a lot of elite athletes wear these in training both during their warmup and on their regular everyday runs. If you too want to feel the performance benefits, increase warmth, and look like the pros then what are you waiting for!
Regular running tights are designed to keep your muscles warm while running. On the other hand, compression gear supports your muscles and provides greater blood flow to the lower limbs. This supposedly increases performance while also supporting recovery.
Matthew is an avid runner, freelance writer, Durham University graduate, and the founder of Running101.